Search found 25 matches

by Ocelotl
Sun Aug 30, 2026 1:10 am
Forum: Order of Battle Series
Topic: best unit type balance
Replies: 8
Views: 1958

Re: best unit type balance

The thing about scout planes is 1 they are incredibly cheap (20 rp) 2 they only use one command point and 3 they are expendable. What you get in return is constant knowledge of the enemy position. Even if they are expendable I just played the Rising Sun campaign and I only lost a handful of them, 3 ...
by Ocelotl
Sat Aug 29, 2026 4:15 am
Forum: Order of Battle Series
Topic: best unit type balance
Replies: 8
Views: 1958

Re: best unit type balance

My basic set up:
Land units
1 heavy inf.
1 marine or gebirgsjager (or similar unit that has low or no efficiency loss from terrain)
1 infantry
1 engineer
1-2 armor (should cp permit it)
2 artillery
1 aa/at capable unit similar to a German 88 where it can take on the role of aa or at.
1 scout car ...
by Ocelotl
Thu Aug 20, 2026 12:59 am
Forum: Order of Battle Series
Topic: On the utility of StuG III (B/D/E) series in German campaigns
Replies: 9
Views: 4352

Re: On the utility of StuG III (B/D/E) series in German campaigns

In campaigns at times resource can be an issue, they were in my playthrough of Sandstorm, but for the most part they are not. Its true command points force you to field units with the most utility. My experience in using the StuG, assault gun, self propelled gun, whatever you want to call them is ...
by Ocelotl
Tue Aug 18, 2026 12:34 am
Forum: Order of Battle Series
Topic: Japanese Marines in the Army?
Replies: 3
Views: 1314

Re: Japanese Marines in the Army?


Note also that the US Army also had amphibious troops. They are available in OoB. Any US infantry unit can board/unload a warship.

conboy


You're right, I don't know why that slipped my mind. I remember in the book "With the Old Breed" it mentions Army amphibious operations in the Pacific. Plus ...
by Ocelotl
Fri Aug 07, 2026 4:38 am
Forum: Order of Battle Series
Topic: Japanese Marines in the Army?
Replies: 3
Views: 1314

Re: Japanese Marines in the Army?

Well I did a little more research, emphasis on little and figured out the reason. Apparently, unlike the US where the Marines are a distinct branch of the Navy the Japanese had both naval amphibious troops as well as the Army. One being the SNLF and the Army had the its own amphibious troops.
by Ocelotl
Thu Aug 06, 2026 11:04 am
Forum: Order of Battle Series
Topic: Japanese Marines in the Army?
Replies: 3
Views: 1314

Japanese Marines in the Army?

So I'll admit I am no expert andI am not trying to be pedantic, but I am playing Morning Sun and purchasing troops and noticed that "Marines" are located in both the IJA and the IJN flags. So I did a little research and they, the marines were apparently part of the Navy, makes sense, in a branch ...
by Ocelotl
Wed Jul 29, 2026 1:40 am
Forum: Order of Battle Series
Topic: best unit type balance
Replies: 8
Views: 1958

Re: best unit type balance

I wouldn't argue with OPs set up. Its just that its a bit of a subjective question, different scenarios require different tools so there really is not a single optimal "formation". Also, its subject to playing style, for instance if you gave me 6 inf, 2 heavy inf and 2 engineers for a game I wouldn ...
by Ocelotl
Tue Jul 28, 2026 10:54 am
Forum: Order of Battle Series
Topic: Order of Battle - The Unit Navigator Tool
Replies: 166
Views: 162985

Re: Order of Battle - The Unit Navigator Tool

:shock: We got bigger problems now!

Website error reads:

Resource Limit Is Reached
The website is temporarily unable to service your request as it exceeded resource limit. Please try again later.

I am guessing that means to many visitors at once, but thats probably not the case. Either its a ...
by Ocelotl
Thu Jul 09, 2026 11:33 pm
Forum: Order of Battle Series
Topic: Order of Battle - The Unit Navigator Tool
Replies: 166
Views: 162985

Re: Order of Battle - The Unit Navigator Tool

dragos wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2026 6:10 pm I renewed the certificates. Anyway the SSL warnings are not an issue as long you do not enter any kind of information in there.
👍
by Ocelotl
Thu Jul 09, 2026 11:30 pm
Forum: Order of Battle Series
Topic: Order of Battle - The Unit Navigator Tool
Replies: 166
Views: 162985

Re: Order of Battle - The Unit Navigator Tool


I use that link because I don't understand GitHub at all. I don't think there's really any risk, even though Chrome also displays a warning that the site isn't secure.

It really helps because there are so many units and equipment types :shock:

Ya GitHub is for computer programmers and its well ...
by Ocelotl
Sun Jul 05, 2026 4:32 am
Forum: Order of Battle Series
Topic: Order of Battle - The Unit Navigator Tool
Replies: 166
Views: 162985

Re: Order of Battle - The Unit Navigator Tool

More than likely its OK to visit, but I am an ounce of prevention guy. The site probably hasn't updated its website certificate.
by Ocelotl
Fri Jul 03, 2026 8:48 am
Forum: Order of Battle Series
Topic: Order of Battle - The Unit Navigator Tool
Replies: 166
Views: 162985

Re: Order of Battle - The Unit Navigator Tool

Hello, such a useful tool last time I played OOB. Actually I cant imagine playing with out it. The website https://worldwar2.ro/game is blocked by firefox with a warning something about the website not being properly updated.

How does one set up the Unit Navigator Tool with the oob_game_data_viewer ...
by Ocelotl
Thu May 14, 2026 2:16 am
Forum: General Discussion
Topic: Linux
Replies: 2
Views: 2617

Linux

I will soon switch to Linux in some form or other, not really sure what distro, but I am at least going to give it a try. I dont own a ton of games on Slitherine but like wargames. How well do Slitherine games play on Linux, if at all. I am guessing not so well but if anyone has experience with it I ...
by Ocelotl
Thu Nov 03, 2022 11:29 am
Forum: Order of Battle Series
Topic: Vehicle Skins not working
Replies: 15
Views: 3206

Re: Vehicle Skins not working




Captured vehicles don't have skins available.

That's not true. I have a captured M3 Stuart and it takes camouflage skins

Shows a screenshot to prove it...


How bout you buy it yourself and find out? A reasonable person would accept something like this at face value. An unreasonable ...
by Ocelotl
Thu Nov 03, 2022 10:58 am
Forum: Order of Battle Series
Topic: Vehicle Skins not working
Replies: 15
Views: 3206

Re: Vehicle Skins not working


Braat Overvalwagen is not accepting skins, because it does not have a skinmask file needed for it. This is not moddable.

Not all units in the game accept skins, only those of selected nations, and - as others said - captured units have been left out intentionally.


That's just not true, please ...
by Ocelotl
Thu Nov 03, 2022 10:53 am
Forum: Order of Battle Series
Topic: Vehicle Skins not working
Replies: 15
Views: 3206

Re: Vehicle Skins not working



I am not quite sure what you are asking. So far I stated
1. its an M3 Stuart
2. its captured

Are you asking if the values are the same? If so yes they are.

I know of no unit captured with skins that work...


So crazy, you certainly do know of a captured unit with skins that work. I just ...
by Ocelotl
Thu Nov 03, 2022 5:59 am
Forum: Order of Battle Series
Topic: Vehicle Skins not working
Replies: 15
Views: 3206

Re: Vehicle Skins not working




Captured vehicles don't have skins available.

That's not true. I have a captured M3 Stuart and it takes camouflage skins

This M3 Stuart ?


Capture d’écran 2022-11-03 063811.jpg


I am not quite sure what you are asking. So far I stated
1. its an M3 Stuart
2. its captured

Are you asking ...
by Ocelotl
Wed Nov 02, 2022 9:17 pm
Forum: Order of Battle Series
Topic: Vehicle Skins not working
Replies: 15
Views: 3206

Re: Vehicle Skins not working

Rising Sun Campaign.

Like I said I am not a modder but I do tinker with files make adjustments to most games I play. It seems the instructions that point (captured) units to use skins is dependent on the unit i.e. some have them some don't.
by Ocelotl
Wed Nov 02, 2022 5:30 am
Forum: Order of Battle Series
Topic: Vehicle Skins not working
Replies: 15
Views: 3206

Re: Vehicle Skins not working

MarechalJoffre wrote: Tue Nov 01, 2022 10:01 am Captured vehicles don't have skins available.
That's not true. I have a captured M3 Stuart and it takes camouflage skins
by Ocelotl
Tue Nov 01, 2022 9:11 am
Forum: Order of Battle Series
Topic: Vehicle Skins not working
Replies: 15
Views: 3206

Vehicle Skins not working

I am playing the Rising Sun Camp. and I captured a Braat Overvalwagen ac. The skins are not working on that vehicle. Is there a fix for this? I am not skilled at modding but I did have a look around the data files and found a unit.txt file among other things (I did not see any obvious changes I ...

Go to advanced search