Page 1 of 1

Japanese Marines in the Army?

Posted: Thu Aug 06, 2026 11:04 am
by Ocelotl
So I'll admit I am no expert andI am not trying to be pedantic, but I am playing Morning Sun and purchasing troops and noticed that "Marines" are located in both the IJA and the IJN flags. So I did a little research and they, the marines were apparently part of the Navy, makes sense, in a branch called the SNLF. Anyway I am just curious as to the decision to make them available in both the Army and the Navy. Nooo I am not calling for Slitherine to fix it just wondering about the logic behind it.

Re: Japanese Marines in the Army?

Posted: Fri Aug 07, 2026 4:38 am
by Ocelotl
Well I did a little more research, emphasis on little and figured out the reason. Apparently, unlike the US where the Marines are a distinct branch of the Navy the Japanese had both naval amphibious troops as well as the Army. One being the SNLF and the Army had the its own amphibious troops.

Re: Japanese Marines in the Army?

Posted: Mon Aug 10, 2026 7:31 pm
by conboy
Note also that the US Army also had amphibious troops. They are available in OoB. Any US infantry unit can board/unload a warship.

conboy

Re: Japanese Marines in the Army?

Posted: Tue Aug 18, 2026 12:34 am
by Ocelotl
conboy wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2026 7:31 pm Note also that the US Army also had amphibious troops. They are available in OoB. Any US infantry unit can board/unload a warship.

conboy
You're right, I don't know why that slipped my mind. I remember in the book "With the Old Breed" it mentions Army amphibious operations in the Pacific. Plus it makes sense that each branch would problem solve for all different types of combat situations. I just had it embedded in my mind that the Marines were the sole amphibious arm of the American military it transferred over.